Friday, August 19, 2011

Couch to 5K Review: How My Running Journey Began

Once I met my first weight loss goal, which was to lose 50lbs, I set another goal to lose 10 more lbs.  Fast forward from December to the end of February, those 10lbs just wouldn't seem to vanish, so I decided to try something new (as I've always done when hitting any plateau in the past).  I've always admired the runners physique, was impressed by their endurance, running has a lower start up cost, and I still wasn't interested in joining a gym for classes yet, so I chose running.  I actually thought I'd be embarassed because I looked like a newbie, but that feeling didn't last long.  I was determined.


I had never run track or anything outside of running around with my cousins outside, so I definitely needed a structured routine I could follow so I'd be more likely to stick with it.  I heard about C25k from many users in the forums on Lose It!, so I purchased the app and started using it 2/28/11 (I found out later there are many free podcast, but I don't mind).  Couch to 5k is an app designed to help you achieve running a 5k in 30 minutes or less.
Do we share any of the same apps?
There's two versions of C25k in iTunes, this is the one I chose to go with. Both versions are pretty much the same program-wise, but based on the other versions interface, it was pretty busy on the eyes.  I wanted something simple to quickly refer to since I'd be using this for the next 9 or so weeks.

I'm not really comfortable running on the treadmill for long periods, plus the ones at my "old school" gym were horrible anyway, so I took advantage of the trails in my neighborhood to start.  I was conditioned to the elliptical and power walking, which were my primary sources of cardio until I started running.  SN: Running outside in the beginning is SO difficult very different. Now, I bet I could easily run 10 miles on the treadmill today if I wanted, only kidding :)

Week 1 wasn't so bad, with only having to jog for 60 seconds at a time. I still sweat profusely and my reoccurring knee problems (I think I did something to it as a child, and it had a tendency to ache every now and then, plus I officially sprained it in '09 as well) came back, which is why I thought I was getting this major workout.  I forgot about all of my other resistance training and was so focused on running every other day instead.  Big mistake, 'cause that still didn't help me drop anymore weight.

By Week 4, I guess my knee seemed to have gotten stronger because I no longer had pain.  I warmed up and stretched properly during every workout, so I'm thinking that helped.  I was still pretty happy with the program.  Looking at Week 4 from Week 1 seemed intimidating at first, but you never know what you can until you do it.  It was a real struggle to run 5 minutes straight.  I would be so relieved at the voice prompts telling me to, "walk now". Day 1 of Week 4 went well, but for some reason Day 2 and 3 I couldn't get through, so I decided to repeat Week 4.

Week 6 and Week 8 were two more tough weeks for me.  I can't remember which I started over, but it was definitely all mental.  By the end of Week 8 and 9, I had linked up with a running group and no longer relied on the app, even for days I ran alone.  
Here I am today, three 5k races later, up to running 4.5 miles at a time, trying to race once a month, and thinking about registering for my first 10k in November.  

Now, about that 10lbs, I started running thinking the 10lbs would just melt off, but I did have to commence resistance training (i.e. circuit training, weights, Pilates) once again and most importantly strict diet changes for a few weeks for that to actually happen.

How did you lose your last 10lbs? How did you get into running?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! I am constantly recommending c25k to people who want to get started running, since I've heard all of the success stories that come with it. Although I've never done it myself, I've looked over the program and believe that someone who sticks with it will be successful. I'm definitely bookmarking this post to send to friends in the future, since it has a good explanation of the program! Thanks!

    BTW, you could definitely do a 10k in November. Once you get to the 5k, it's all mental. Yes, you still have to train, but if you train for it, your body will most definitely be ready!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!