Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Future Speed Demon!

I'm really trying to finish my next 5K in less than 30 minutes and not 31 and some seconds.  This is my first year ever running, like for real running, and I'm really getting in to this for the long run (no pun intended).  I just started running to lose the tummy (still not gone), but it's so many other benefits I've noticed.  I'll save that for a different post though.  


Yesterday I completed my first speed training. It consisted of a 1-mile warm-up or 10 minutes, whichever came first.  I finished in 10 minutes and a few seconds.  Two 400 meter sprints at race pace, two 200 meter sprints at 90%, and two 100 meter sprints at 100%.  Hopefully I have the lingo correct, but this was my very first time doing something like this.  The entire workout lasted almost an hour including stretching and water breaks.  It was a nice change, this morning I could feel it in my abs.


Fast forward today, my first distance run for this week, I ran 3.22 miles.  I'm not sure how quick you're supposed to tell a difference in your pace after speed training, but judging by my time tonight it was immediate.  I literally shaved a minute off of what my pace has been for the past few weeks!  One thing I think did differently today that may or may not have made a difference, but I had complex carbs (whole wheat spaghetti) a couple of hours before running.  I guess that really increased my energy level.

I don't want to be too hard on myself, but I can't decide whether or not I want to increase my speed or endurance first.  Can't you do both at the same time?  I ran 5 miles the other day, so I know 6 shouldn't be that hard.  My next 5K isn't until October, but I have a feeling I should do fine since I'm getting used to enduring longer runs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!