Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Frugal Clean Eating: Meal Planning

Hope you haven't had to wait too long, but here's the second post in my new Frugal Clean Eating series or the step-by-step on what I do when it's time to go grocery shopping. Here's the first.

1. I look in the fridge and see what basic items need to be replaced. I can't stand going to the grocery store guessing at what we're out of. I usually don't get it because I guessed wrong and have to go back to the store.

2. I ask the hubs what he wants for dinner and his lunches. Usually his answer is "it doesn't matter". If I can't figure out what I want. I go Pinterest and scroll down my Eat to Live board for ideas. I forgot to mention I really don't like to cook. I cook because we have to eat. So I try to find SIMPLE and quick recipes that don't take hours. I just don't have time.

3. I create a meal list and mark off what I already have. I try to choose recipes based on items I already have when I can.

4. I create my grocery list by day and by meal. It's the best way I've found to stay organized.

This week's menu (Thursday through next Thursday)...


5. #5 is important. I try NOT to forget my list at home. It's happened.

6. The main reason why I am able to shop and save, I shop at Aldi's. Aldi's sells majority off brands, but still has name brands. But it's still quality items. They are able to offer their items at cheaper prices because they've cut costs in other areas. Most of the time I find everything I need. But in the event I don't, then I'll go to a place like Kroger's or Walmart, if I have to. For example, they don't sell baby formula, but they do sell Pampers brand diapers.

Stay tuned for the next post...my grocery haul and total spent post.

Where do you food shop?

1 comment:

  1. This is a set of good tips! Thank you! I like to shop at Trader Joe's and I have got to the point where I will walk out with nothing if I try to shop at a different store. Following you on Pinterest now to see what recipes you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!