Monday, June 13, 2011

Grocery Trip & Typical Shopping List

I went to Aldi's, Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Trader Joe's
This picture was taken after my most recent grocery store trip.  The items pictured aren't typical purchases (see below) because I'm trying all new recipes this week (Moving Forward with Eating Cleaner).  

I try not to buy the "bad" processed foods, but considering the costs, that's not always the case.  I make substitutions wherever possible and watch the serving size carefully.  Example: If I buy hot dogs for that week (which is rare anyway), I eat ONE and not THREE!

Good processed foods: milk, some orange juice, oatmeal, frozen fish, frozen fruits and vegetables, and 100% whole-grain bread. (About.com: What Are Processed Foods?)

Bad processed foods: frozen pizza with meatcanned foods, breads/pastas made with refined white flour, chips, candy, frozen fish sticks, frozen dinners, packaged cakes and cookies (not homemade), boxed meals (i.e. Hamburger Helper), sugary breakfast cereals, and processed meats (i.e. hot dogs, bacon, sausage, sandwich meat, etc.) (About.com: What Are Processed Foods?)


These are just the main items.  We eat mostly chicken and fish.  When I buy beef or pork, it's the leaner cuts.  When I DO by the "bad" processed foods (because I don't live ALONE and I DON'T deprive myself :-)), I make sure I don't go overboard by sticking to 1 serving.

1 comment:

  1. i just started shopping at trader joes------everything there just is so delightful and makes me want to throw a party with all their amazing appetizers and snacks--what are your staples from there?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!