Monday, September 19, 2011

Somebody Stop ME!



In the words of Jim Carrey in The Mask, "Somebody stop me!" (lol). Yes, I realize that was a bit corny, but that movie line sort of sums up this past weekend for me.  My last post about me wearing a swimsuit with confidence now seems like the beginning of something totally new I started.


Hold up, I'm not that advanced!
My weekend started on Friday evening in a pole dancing class with a friend. Yes, pole dancing.  It's not just for strippers anymore.  Hopefully you've heard by now anyway that a lot of women take pole classes for several different reasons.  It doesn't mean you are, dare I say, a "freakazoid", if you take one.  My first time taking a pole class was 2 years ago.  Well, 2 years ago I was busted and disgusted.  I had fun, but I did NOT feel confident nor sexy.  Good thing I have no problem laughing at myself, so I'm pretty sure that's how I got through that whole embarrassing ordeal.  Now that I am in a totally different place mentally and physically in my life, I could tell a major difference from 2 years ago to last Friday night.  


The class was pretty cool.  I was glad to be among other beginners and even those with little rhythm such as myself. And it didn't hurt that I was smaller than the first time I started.  The main benefits I've experienced from pole dancing are that I feel a little sexier and it provides a great arm workout depending on the moves the instructor has you doing.  The stretches in the beginning felt SO good for my running legs and hip area.  I liked it so much my friend and I are going to sign up for more classes.


--






On Saturday, my running group celebrated a major milestone.  The day started out with a 5 mile group run, which you can read about here.  We reached over 2000 members so we had a social to celebrate.  I normally don't do clubs, but this was an event I didn't want to miss.  I'm so glad I didn't and I am excited to be apart of 'the movement'.  It was nice to relish in all of our hard work.  We all looked so great dressed up!  


After the social, I headed to a family members birthday celebration at a nearby restaurant and lounge (I tell ya, Tiff's just been a role lately lol).  But, my point is, I am so proud of myself and the goals I've accomplished. These are things I would've normally automatically shied away from and not given a second thought. (Shirt off the shoulder 2 years ago? Not me!) I did not feel one ounce of insecurity because of the way I looked.  I know I'm not perfect and I haven't even reached all of my goals yet, but weekends like this reassure me of why I do what I do every day.  Once you set your goals and are doing something to accomplish them for at least 2 weeks (IMO), I think it has already become habit.  Make healthy living and an active lifestyle continue to work for you and it'll start to feel like second nature.  I canNOT go back to the way I was!


--
With that being said, my goals for the week are to continue 10k training (I haven't registered for one yet and I've also begun to consider a half marathon on Thanksgiving) with the following:


Sunday - rest
Monday - speed work (track workout), Insanity
Tuesday - 4 mi run
Wednesday - 2 mi run, weights (upper body)
Thursday - 4 mi on hilly route
Friday - rest
Saturday - 5 mi


What has made you feel like your hard work is paying off?

1 comment:

  1. I did pole dancing last year for a friends bday it was fun. I want to try it again when I am a little lighter I would love to start at the top of the pole lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!