Monday, June 29, 2015

Fueling for a Stellar Performance!



This post idea couldn't of come at a better time as I am preparing to run a 10k this Saturday. I can definitely tell a major difference during my workouts or my runs when I eat properly and when I don't. I look at choosing the green smoothie over that scrumptious warm looking chocolate chip cookie as an incentive.

For one, if I'm going to choose the cookie I may as well not work out. I'm wasting time and energy. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been super perfect in the nutrition lately. But I can say I've done about 70% well and I can still tell a difference even then. I have a general rule for myself and that's just not to eat too many fatty meals in a row. My problem can be the unhealthy snacking in between those healthy meals.



So with that being said, I feel my best when I am consistent, eat less fatty meals, and DRINK WATER.


Before Workouts
If I work out in the morning, I don't eat anything. If I have to have something it's oatmeal and/or a banana. I tend to eat late at times and I feel too full if I try to eat before my morning workouts. If I turn in early the previous night or are half marathon training, then I'll have something light for breakfast like a banana, eggs, or sometimes a green smoothie.

During Workouts
My normal workouts are usually an hour and a half or less, so I'll have water and that's it. If I'm half marathon training, I like to bring water or the sports beans (something with sugar). I usually hit that mark of needing something around 8-9 miles out.

Post Workout
Post workout I'll usually have a carb (green smoothie w/soy protein powder, plain banana, occasionally bread) and a protein. My protein usually ends up being eggs.

...

I like to keep my diet as simple and natural as possible. I don't judge for using artificial supplements, but personally I would only use those if I need to save time or can't get to my kitchen...as an actual supplement and NOT a total replacement as some folks I know work out on a regular do.

So, that's it in a nutshell. Hopefully my post helps someone. If there's any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to post them below.

Before I end, today was my rest day, but I decided to have a little fun with my sister and try some core work using my stability ball. I realize my form was a little off, but this won't be my last time.

Photo credit: Pinterest



How do you 'fuel up'? Share the link to your post or comment below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!