Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Cool Cross-Training Idea for Runners

I've always wanted to try indoor rock climbing just because it looked fun. I didn't realize it would actually give me a work out or that this is a good cross-training activity for runners.



There are several similarities of climbing and running that we learned in the brief clinic prior to starting. For starters, climbing engages your upper body and core.


You need to push "off" with your legs to aide your upper body, so they're engaged just as much.


Balance and breathing were definitely necessary to reach the top.

I like this WAY better than zip lining!
The scary part was coming down.
Once I was down, I couldn't believe I had broken a light sweat and was lightly panting. My upper body needs work anyway, so I could feel it in my arms before I even left the building. Two days later and I think I used EVERY muscle in my arm!


It was fun and hopefully I'll get to try it again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!