Thursday, March 8, 2012

My 1st Half Marathon: 2 Days Before

A little late night ramble.

Well, the weekend has arrived. I will be running my first half marathon on Sunday. I ran my last long run this past Monday (12.5 miles) and have eaten fairly well (except succumbing to the Girl Scout cookie temptations). I have no regrets. I feel like I prepared 90% well and I know my body, so I'll be fine.

All week I have received nothing but encouraging messages from those who have known of me racing. As the days grew closer and during my last few runs, short and long, I teared up and shed a few droplets when I imagined my journey to get 13.1 miles ready, crossing that finish line, falling AND bawling into my husbands chest. I know it's going to be a monumental moment for me. I can't wait to tell our future kids. I pray someone gets good pictures too.

We left Atlanta a little after 9:30 this morning. I had eaten breakfast at home (bran cereal with 1% milk) and I didn't pack my lunch or snacks like I did for the last road trip. No worries, so I thought ... And this really isn't that much of a big deal, but I kind of told myself that I would eat super clean especially the last few days until the race. So anyway, we stopped for gas and there was Arby's. As you've probably noticed, fast food joints are offering better options. I ordered a turkey and Swiss sandwich (found out later, it was pretty high in calories) and medium-sized fries (also high of course). I could've switched my side to a salad, but I noticed too late and didn't want to bother them with switching (yea, excuses). I'm doing good on my water intake, so I feel good.

Picture taken from Arby's site.
This trip is making me wish I would've went grocery shopping though or something, geez. For dinner, we ate Subway. I got a 6" turkey on wheat with a variety of vegetables, lite mayo, mustard, and vinegar (no oil as usual=some progress). I didn't get a combo, instead I stopped by Wally World a.k.a. WalMart (so many characters in there, btw) for bananas and a gallon of water. So dinner was Subway, a banana, and water. I'm going to be real and say I am so ready for this race to be over so I can PIG out on some authentic "Nawlins" cuisine I tell ya!

I wonder how tomorrow will go. I think I'm going to go to bed after I'm done icing my knee, so I can get my mind off of wanting something sweet. I don't want my stomach to cramp during this race and I want to be full of energy.

So, it seems all I had was eating on the brain.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!