Friday, July 18, 2014

How to NOT Become Obsessed with the Scale

*Disclaimer: I am not a fitness professional nor a nutritionist. I share about topics based on MY results from MY research and experience. Everyone's results will be different. 

Chances are if you have found yourself already obsessed with weighing yourself everyday, after every work out, or after every meal, then you probably can't quit cold turkey. Don't feel bad because I was that way and so are many others.

As I try to switch my focus from weight loss to fat loss, I'm trying my hardest not to rely on the scale. The difference between now and then is now I choose to measure my progress with my pictures and body fat percentage. I like using before and after or then and now pictures the most because I don't know how accurate my scale is in measuring body fat percentage.

If you've read my weight loss journey you've seen that I met a 50 lb weight loss goal in 2010. I haven't really provided consistent updates about my weight loss after the baby, but to date I have lost my original goal of 50 lbs. I gained 40 lbs during my pregnancy, so I've lost an extra 10 since. :-)

How to NOT become obsessed with the scale:



  1. Choose ONE day a week that you will allow yourself to check your weight. Mondays are usually my weigh-in days. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the restroom.
  2. For the rest of the week, hide the scale. Seriously. Mine is underneath the sink. Sure, I could easily bend down and get if I want it still, but for the most part, out of sight, out of mind.
  3. Remember that our weight fluctuates throughout the week, so don't waste time putting yourself down if you see you're up 1-2 lbs in the next 2 days. Chances are if you've been eating healthy and burning more calories than you take in, then it's probably water weight.
  4. Choose a smaller sized pair of jeans or other clothing item as a goal. I had a size 8, low rise pair of pants that I used as my goal to get back into after having my baby. I'm proud to say I am back in them and my 6's, too.
  5. Muscle weighs more than fat. 120 lbs on a 5'4 tall person looks different on a 5'11 tall person. 
  6. Lastly, skinny doesn't equal healthy. According to some sites and my BMI, "they" say I should be 125-130 lbs. Honestly, I think I'd look sick. I'm comfortable with the way I look right now. Just working on those abs and muscle definition.
Please feel free to add to my list in the comment section. What are other ways to NOT become obsessed, if you own a scale?

4 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Mom Blog Hop. I am so glad that I found you. I love finding new healthy living bloggers. I am on my own personal journey. The scale is not my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you! Good luck on your own journey...I know how it can be ;)

      Delete
  2. Great tips! It's so easy to get caught up with the numbers on a scale. I pretty much avoid it altogether unless it's absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, unless I have a specific goal I'm trying to reach, I don't even worry about it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!