Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Update: Health & Fitness Apps I Use Daily

I thought I'd give an update on the health & fitness apps I currently use. I think I'm on my third smartphone since starting this blog in 2011, so I've gone through my share of apps. Some apps have made it through to the new phones, and others didn't.


Nike+ GPS Running app - allows me to track my distance, time, and pace while running. I also have the watch. Depending on the situation, I will use one or the other. For shorter runs I've been using the app just so I don't have to wait until I get home to upload my run to the computer to see my splits. Sometimes I don't want to hear the voice prompts (and don't want to change the settings each time) during my runs, so I'll use my watch. For races, I use my watch...just looks cooler, lol.

Lose It! app - I use to use this app religiously. This is what I used to lose weight. See a full review here. Now I use it on occasion. Like when I want to measure my protein intake...or to see if I've eaten enough calories since I'm breastfeeding. Sometimes my appetite isn't up, but I HAVE to eat a certain amount in order to keep my milk supply up for my son. I also use it to track my weight. I like visuals.

MapMyWalk - It's simple. I use it when I'm walking...usually with my friends or family who aren't runners. And because I'm a "running snob" and have diagnosed myself with OCD, I don't want to mess up my overall pace record on my Nike app. :-)

Gymboss - I use this app when I do HIIT workouts at home or when I'm doing a jump rope Tabata workout in my garage.

Nike Training Club  - I use this as a cross training go-to. The workouts are really good. I followed a program earlier in the year when I was trying to get ready for my first race postpartum. It whipped me good! Plus now it syncs with the Nike+ running app.

LA Fitness - Welp, that's my gym. I use the app to refer to the class schedules.

Run 10K -  I was going to use this app to get ready for my upcoming 10K, but... I fell off and started following another training plan I liked better. I may restart it just for run to make sure I'm keeping up with running period after my race in two weeks. I digress, but after this race, I plan to really focus on cross-training more and less running, just to get stronger before I start training for any Fall half marathons I'm thinking about doing. Plus, running in the heat isn't fun. 

KP - KP? Well, that's Kaiser Permanente, my health insurance provider. I really could of omitted for the purposes of this post. :)

Sworkit - is another app I use for cross-training. It allows you to choose a workout based on your goals, whether you want to do cardio, yoga, or strength training. You choose the length of time you want to workout and it customizes a workout for the day for you.

This post reminds me of an old post I wrote about setting and sticking with your goals and how certain apps helped me in doing so. I also mentioned in that post how I like structure and plans in order to help me stick with it. I wrote that three years ago...there's a lot about me that's changed since then. For instance, I LIKE working out with the group and have gotten more comfortable going to the gym. 

But anyhoo, what health & fitness apps do you use? I'm always open to something new. If you've written a blog post, link it below please. :-)

-Tiffany

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and especially for commenting!